Latest News


AFC Portchester 1 Brockenhurst 2

This was another disappointing afternoon for AFC Portchester and it was the game which proved to be manager Mick Catlin’s last in charge before he departed company with the club.

The Royals produced a lacklustre display and although they battled back to equalise midway through the second half, they struggled to impress themselves on the visitors throughout the game.

On 12 minutes Toby Adekunle put his snap shot from the edge of the box wide and at the other end Freddie Bullard lifted his chance over the crossbar.

Steve Ramsey went close to scoring on 26 minutes when a corner was hooked back in his direction and his shot went just wide of the goal and five minutes later Adekunle was sent to the sin bin for something he said to the referee.

Brockenhurst used their numerical advantage to take the lead on 32 minutes when the ball was crossed back into the box after a corner had been cleared and when a defender got caught under the ball Brad Magookin was presented with a free header in front of goal to score.

Three minutes before half time the visitors went close to scoring their second when James Shorey put Bullard through in the right hand side of the penalty area and his shot went across Cameron Scott but the keeper was able to reach out a hand to divert the shot away from goal.

At the start of the second half the visitors went close again when Harrison White’s shot across goal went just wide and at the other end keeper Jon Webb had to push Barry Mason’s shot away at his near post.

Magookin’s free kick took a deflection off the defensive wall and went straight to Scott and Ellis Martin’s free kick from 25 yards out only just missed the target.

Portchester drew level on 64 minutes after good build up play down the left, which saw the ball worked to Barry Mason and his shot flew into the back of the net.

Brockenhurst almost went straight back into the lead when White’s curling shot from the edge of the box went narrowly wide but they did go 2-1 up on 67 minutes when Magookin curled his free kick from the edge of the penalty area through the defensive wall and Scott was rooted to the spot as it flew into the net.

With ten minutes remaining substitute Scott Faulkner and Rob Evans combined to set up Oscar Johnston for a shot, which Webb pushed over the crossbar. From the corner Henry Lander’s header bounced wide of the target.

Two minutes later Adekunle floated his free kick from the right to the far post but Luke Dempsey couldn’t apply the finishing touch to earn Portchester a share of the points.



Line-up: Cameron Scott, Rob Evans, Ellis Martin (replaced by Olly Searle on 74 mins), Henry Lander, Luke Dempsey, Josh Hanratty, Joe Johnson (replaced by Scott Faulkner on 67 mins), Steve Ramsey (capt – replaced by Joe Chamberlain on 81 mins), Barry Mason, Oscar Johnston, Toby Adekunle.

Subs not used: Liam Hibberd, Craig Hardy.

Goal: Barry Mason (64 mins).


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833