Latest News


AFC Portchester 0 Hamworthy United 4

AFC Portchester were well beaten by league leaders Hamworthy United in front of a capacity crowd of 300 at the Crest Finance Stadium.

Despite a bright start from the home side, the visitors soon took control of the game and had scored all of their goals before the hour mark was reached.

Ellis Martin tried his luck for the Royals on 16 minutes with a free kick from 20 yards out but it went straight to keeper Shane Murphy.

Hamworthy were clinical when in front of goal and they took the lead on 22 minutes. After driving forward towards the penalty area, the Portchester defence failed to break up the Hamworthy attack and Cameron Munn hit his first time shot into the net via the post.

Three minutes later Munn got away from the home defence down the right and after cutting inside into the box keeper Brad Snelling had to block his shot with his body. The corner was missed by everyone and fell to Connor Cocklin at the far post but the ball hit his leg and rolled wide of the goal.

Hamworthy were awarded a penalty on 32 minutes when Lee Francis was sent sprawling by a challenge and Martin was shown a red card. However, Ed Hodge’s spot kick was saved by Snelling diving down low to his left.

Lee Wort had a half chance four minutes later when he latched on to a ball over the top of the visiting defence but he dragged his shot wide.

The visitors doubled their advantage in first half stoppage time when a corner from the left was headed on by a home defender but the ball fell to Hodge on the edge of the box, who volleyed his first time shot into the top corner of the net.

Any hopes of a home fightback in the second half disappeared on 53 minutes when Hamworthy scored their third goal. Steve Devlin drove his free kick from the edge of the box past the defensive wall and it proved too powerful for Snelling to keep out.

The visitors got their fourth goal three minutes later when a quick free kick from midfield slipped Munn clear on goal and he took the ball past a defender and Snelling before rolling his shot home.

On 67 minutes Portchester had a rare chance to score when Peter Castle met a corner from the right with a glancing header but it went well wide.

With ten minutes remaining substitute Bailey Rowe tried to stretch Hamworthy’s lead further when he met a cross into the box but Snelling kicked away his shot.

Three minutes later Snelling came to the rescue again when he had to tip Munn’s header from the edge of the box over the bar and from the resulting corner Munn’s downward header had to be cleared off the line.



Line-up: Brad Snelling, Rob Evans (capt), Ellis Martin, Harvey Clark (replaced by Sutcha Shepherd on 67 mins), Henry Lander, Olly Searle, Joe Johnson (replaced by Peter Castle on 36 mins), Barry Mason (replaced by Harry Preston on 85 mins), Callum Laycock, Lee Wort, Oscar Johnston.

Subs not used: Adam Cripps, Cameron Scott.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833