Alresford Town 4 AFC Portchester 1

Alresford Town recorded a comfortable victory over AFC Portchester on Saturday afternoon.

As they have done in every game so far this season, the Royals took the lead but they were soon pegged back by the home side - who eased their way to the three points in the second half.

The home side had the first opportunity of the game on three minutes after they had worked the ball forward down the left.

Josh Warren blocked the cross but the ball dropped on the edge of the six yard box to Daniel Vickers and he hit his shot well wide of the far post.

Five minutes later Bradey Norton cleared a corner from the left at the near post and the ball went as far as Duarte Martins who was waiting 25 yards out.

He hit a fizzing first time shot which keeper Brad Snelling made an excellent one handed save from to turn the ball over the top.

Portchester had their first chance of the game on 12 minutes when a quick break forward saw the ball spread to Dan Wooden on the left and after driving into the box his shot was turned aside by keeper Declan McCarthy.

On 18 minutes an Alresford corner was cleared as far as Liam Hibberd 20 yards out and he flashed a shot just wide of goal. 

At the other end Terrell Lewis got clear down the right before picking out James Thomson with his cross but the striker could not apply the finishing touch in front of goal.

From the next attack Alresford hung a cross up to the far post which was won by Vickers but his downward header went wide.

The home side went close again when Portchester lost the ball in midfield and Christopher Mason’s shot had to be pushed around the post by Snelling.

The visitors got their noses in front on 32 minutes when a corner from the right found Mike Turvey and as he stooped to turn the ball towards goal a defender shoved him to the ground.

Ellis Martin made no mistake with the penalty, sending McCarthy diving the wrong way to net his third goal in three games since joining the Royals.

However, Portchester’s lead lasted barely two minutes when a high cross from the left picked out Vickers, who was allowed to bring the ball down unchallenged and then fire his shot back across goal and into the net.

Two minutes after that Alresford almost snatched the lead when a corner from the left wasn’t cleared inside the six yard box and the home side thought Mason’s shot had crossed the line but the officials didn’t award the goal.

The home side took the lead four minutes before half time when they won a free kick on the edge of the Portchester box. George Hallahan stepped up to curl a shot over the defensive wall and into the net.

Early in the second half history was made as the sin bin was used for the first time in a Portchester game when Alresford’s George Bennett had to sit out of the game for ten minutes.

Alresford almost got their third goal just past the hour mark when Martins hit a curling shot towards goal and Snelling had to push it away.

It was 3-1 on 65 minutes when Shaun Dallimore scored with a free header at the near post when he met a corner from the right.

Portchester’s first decent chance of the second half came with seven minutes remaining when substitute Owen Fee curled his free kick straight into the arms of McCarthy.

Alresford completed the scoring three minutes before the end when the ball was flicked into the box and the visiting defence watched as substitute Paul Coventry dispatched his overhead kick into the net.

The home side should have scored a fifth in injury time when Vickers had a free header in front of goal but he put his effort well over.


Goal: Ellis Martin (pen, 32 mins)

Line-up: Brad Snelling, Rob Evans (capt), Ellis Martin, Jordan Brooks (replaced by Owen Fee on 73 mins), Josh Warren, Jack Barker, Terrell Lewis, Bradey Norton (replaced by Brodie Spencer on 81 mins), James Thomson (replaced by Efu Kazadi on 73 mins), Mike Turvey, Dan Wooden.

Unused subs: Stuart McConnachie, Liam Bush.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833