AFC Portchester 1 Alton 1 (Portchester won 7-6 on penalties)

AFC Portchester booked their place in the second round of the Hampshire Senior Cup thanks to this sudden death penalties victory.

The Royals took an early lead only for the Wessex Division 1 visitors to equalise nine minutes before full time to take the tie into a penalty shoot-out.

After both sides scored all of their spot kicks in the shoot-out the tie moved into sudden death penalties and Alton missed their seventh penalty to send Portchester through.

The home side started strongly and took the lead after only four minutes. The ball was worked forward and Dan Wooden’s pass picked out Steve Ramsey, who volleyed the ball into the net.

Ramsey almost doubled the home side’s lead on 15 minutes when a corner was worked back to him on the left side of the penalty area and his first time volley only just cleared the crossbar.

Two minutes later and the visitors had their first effort on goal when Luke Perkins shot well over the top from 25 yards out.

Substitute James Thomson went close for Portchester on 25 minutes when he received the ball in the box with his back to goal but although he turned his marker, his shot lacked the power to trouble keeper Justin Courtnage.

Terrell Lewis was causing problems to Alton down the right and one of his crosses picked out Mike Turvey, whose shot had to be pushed away by Courtnage. Rob Evans then drove at the visiting defence and his shot at the near post had to be blocked by the Alton keeper.

Alton’s best chance of the first half came on 34 minutes when Perkins broke down the left and his shot to the near post had to be pushed behind by keeper Brad Snelling.

From the resulting corner, Scott Sanderson out jumped everyone to win the ball but he put his header over the target.

Portchester then had another good chance to extend their lead when Wooden received the ball on the right edge of the box and played it to Thomson, whose shot was partially blocked and it then looped up over the crossbar.

Thomson had another good chance when Lewis crossed the ball from the right to the far post but he put his effort over the top.

As the second half wore on Alton came more into the game. On 48 minutes Old Graham received the ball on the left edge of the penalty area but put his shot just over the top.

Perkins then picked up the ball in midfield for the visitors and drove past three players to the edge of the box but his shot was comfortably saved by Snelling.

On 70 minutes a long ball by Courtnage from a free kick found Steve Black on the right and his cross to the far post picked out George Bowerman but he got his shot all wrong and put it wide of the goal.

Two minutes later a throw in from the right found substitute Ali Gill, who turned and shot just wide at the near post.

Alton got their equaliser on 81 minutes when they worked the ball forward through the middle of the pitch. It dropped into the right hand side of the box and after the home defence lost track of it Perkins latched on to it and dispatched a low shot beyond Snelling’s reach.

Both sides then traded chances. Wooden tried his luck from 30 yards out but Courtnage retreated quickly enough to gather the ball. At the other end Black hit a shot from 15 yards out straight at Snelling.

Thomson then latched on to Wooden’s through ball but he couldn’t lift his shot over the advancing keeper and Courtnage made a simple save.

In injury time a free kick from the right was crossed to Josh Warren but he could not direct his header on target and it flashed wide.

With the sides level at 90 minutes the cup tie went straight to a penalty shoot-out - such are the rules for county competitions.

In the first round of penalties, Evans’ spot kick went under Courtnage and Bowerman sent Snelling diving the wrong way.

In the second round of penalties, Wooden sent Courtnage diving the wrong way and Matt Graham did the same thing to Snelling with his spot kick.

In the third round of penalties, Courtnage guessed the right way for Thomson’s penalty but he couldn’t keep it out and Snelling couldn’t keep out Perkins’ spot kick.

In the fourth round of penalties, Courtnage guessed the right way for Turvey’s penalty but the shot was out of the keeper’s reach. For Alton, Phil Moore put plenty of power behind his shot and Snelling couldn’t keep it out.

In the final round of penalties, Ellis Martin sent Courtnage diving the wrong way with his low shot and Jamie Phillips tucked his penalty under Snelling’s dive for the visitors.

With the shoot-out tied at 5-5, it was on to sudden death penalties and Bradey Norton buried his penalty right into the corner of the net. For Alton, Black sent Snelling the wrong way with his penalty.

Liam Bush’s chipped shot found the net with Courtnage diving the wrong way to make it 7-6 to Portchester.

The 14th penalty was the first to be missed when Alton’s Richie Hunter skewed his shot over the crossbar meaning it was the home side who would go through to the second round.


Goal: Steve Ramsey (4 mins)

Line-up: Brad Snelling, Rob Evans, Ellis Martin, Jordan Brooks, Josh Warren, Liam Bush, Terrell Lewis (replaced by Nathan Paxton on 46 mins), Steve Ramsey (replaced by Bradey Norton on 54 mins), Dan Wooden, Owen Fee (replaced by James Thomson on 23 mins), Mike Turvey.

Subs not used: Efu Kazadi, Ben Buckland.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833