AFC Portchester 5 Solent University 2

AFC Portchester stretched their winning run in the league to four matches after sweeping their way to victory over Solent University on Wednesday evening.

The Royals looked to be heading for a big win when they went 3-0 up after 33 minutes but the visitors battled their way back into the game and proved to be tougher opponents than the scoreline suggests.

The home side went close to scoring after two minutes when Dan Wooden knocked a cross from the right back across goal to Owen Fee and his shot had to be beaten away by keeper Alex Londors.

web wooden2
Portchester did go in front three minutes later when a through ball played along the right hand side of the box sent Steve Ramsey clear and he hit a low shot into the far corner of the net.

The home captain could have had a hatful of goals during the first half but his efforts from around the edge of the penalty area kept finding the gloves of the visiting keeper.

Fee set up one effort which lacked the pace to trouble Londors and Fee was the provider again for another shot which Ramsey hit straight at the keeper.

It was 2-0 on 15 minutes when a corner from the right reached Adam Cripps on the left hand side of the penalty area and he fired a low shot back through a crowd of players and into the far corner of the net.

Portchester were attacking constantly at this stage of the game and after Fee went clear of the visiting defence he pulled the ball back into the path of Rob Evans but his shot went straight at Londors.

Fee then had a good chance to score but he fired his shot straight into one of his own players and the ball went wide.

A defensive error gave the visitors their first opportunity of the game on 23 minutes. Tam Demunga got clear of the defence but Ellis Martin tried to haul him back. The visiting player managed to get his shot away but it went wide of the far post.

Ramsey had a shot from 20 yards gathered at the second attempt by Londors before the visitors had another half chance when Ryan Penny picked out Demunga with his cross from the right but the shot flew wide of the far post again.

Martin’s free kick from the right edge of the penalty area was just about scooped around the post by Londors before Portchester got their third goal on 33 minutes.

A ball played through the visiting defence by Ramsey sent Wooden racing clear and he went on into the penalty area before hitting a low shot under Londors into the net.

The visitors continued to create chances at the other end of the pitch and four minutes before half time Demunga’s shot from the edge of the box had to be blocked by keeper Brad Snelling.

They did pull a goal back in first half injury time when John Wallace picked up the ball on the right hand side of the penalty area and looped his shot up and into the far corner of the net.

Solent University almost scored again when substitute Samuel Koroma drove forward into the left hand side of the box and hit a shot which Snelling had to get down to turn around his near post.

Portchester only needed two minutes of the second half to extend their three goal advantage. Mike Turvey cut in from the left and went past two defenders before hitting a low shot which Londors had to push around the post.

From the resulting corner on the left Wooden out jumped everyone to flick his header into the net.

On 55 minutes Koroma cut in from the right and hit a low shot which Snelling saved easily. At the other end Turvey fired off a shot from the edge of the box which Londors had to push away from the target.

Koroma then turned provider when he slipped a pass through the home defence to set up a chance for Alfie Mahon and Snelling had to block his low shot with his legs.

The visitors continued to create chances and Demunga squared the ball to Koroma eight yards out and his goal-bound shot was blocked by a defender.

Wallace almost scored again when he tried to place a shot into the far corner from the right hand side of the box but it went wide.

However, he did get his second goal when he finished off a move he started from the right on 76 minutes. After he spread the play to the left the ball was eventually knocked back across to him and he shot across the goal and into the far corner of the net.

The home side restored their three goal lead in the third minute of injury time when the ball was played up the right and picked up by Wooden. He drove into the penalty area before slamming his powerful shot past Londors into the net.


GOALS: Steve Ramsey (5 mins), Adam Cripps (15 mins), Dan Wooden (33 mins, 47 mins, 90+2 mins).

LINE-UP: Brad Snelling, Rob Evans, Liam Bush, Jordan Brooks (replaced by Jack Barker on 83 mins), Josh Warren, Ellis Martin, Adam Cripps, Steve Ramsey (replaced by Nathan Paxton on 51 mins), Dan Wooden, Mike Turvey, Owen Fee (replaced by George Murage on 85 mins).

UNUSED SUBSTITUTES: Callum Chugg, Bradey Norton.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833