web overton222
AFC Portchester 4 Overton United 0

AFC Portchester booked their place in the next round of the Russell Cotes Cup with victory over Hampshire Premier League side Overton United.

The result was never in doubt from the moment the home side took the lead after only 50 seconds of play and the visitors were never able to really get themselves into the game.

Portchester’s reward for this win will be a home tie against local rivals Fareham Town - which is due to be played at the Crest Finance Stadium on November 13.

The Royals went in front inside the opening minute of the game after they went forward down the right. The ball was played into the box for George Murage to chase and he placed his shot into the net.

On 24 minutes a corner from the left picked out Dan Wooden unmarked in front of goal but he put his header narrowly wide.

Two minutes later and Overton had their first attempt of the match when Lee Wood fired off a shot from 25 yards out but the ball sailed well over the goal.

On the half hour mark Finley Hall ran on to a through ball down the middle of the pitch but his shot was easily saved by keeper Brad Snelling.

On 37 minutes Adam Cripps had a chance to head home from a corner but he put his effort straight at keeper Daniel Burrowes.

Two minutes later Ross Cook got on the end of a long clearance by Burrowes but he could not get any power behind his shot and the ball rolled through to Snelling.

On the stroke of half time Jordan Brooks was brought down on the edge of the box and Ellis Martin sent his free kick past the defensive wall and Burrowes had to push it away.

Portchester doubled their lead five minutes into the second half when a corner from the right picked out substitute Callum Chugg in front of goal and he headed the ball home.

On 55 minutes Murage received the ball from a throw in on the left and drove across the edge of the penalty area before hitting his shot straight at Burrowes.

On 64 minutes Liam Bush picked up the ball on the left and took it forward into the penalty area but he fired his shot over the target.

The home side’s third goal came on 77 minutes following good build up play on the left. It was worked inside to substitute Brodie Spencer and dispatched his shot past Burrowes at his near post.

Two minutes later Bush was sent running clear down the left and Burrowes raced off his line to try and intercept the ball. Bush knocked the ball past him but ran out of pitch before he could get a shot off on goal.

With ten minutes remaining substitute Harry Cook got into a shooting position on the edge of the box but he placed his shot straight at Snelling.

On 82 minutes Wooden won possession on the left and raced clear of the visiting defence. He drew Burrowes off his line before hitting a low shot against the outside of the post and the ball bounced behind for a goal kick.

Portchester completed the scoring for the evening a minute later when they found space down the left again. Murage took the ball forward before playing it inside to Nathan Paxton (pictured above) and he smashed his shot home off the underside of the crossbar.

The visitors then caught the home defence napping and managed to get in behind them but the eventual shot was dragged across the goal.

With four minutes remaining a corner from the right was headed towards goal by Wooden but it went just wide of the near post.



Goals: George Murage (1 min), Callum Chugg (50 mins), Brodie Spencer (77 mins), Nathan Paxton (83 mins)

STARTING LINE-UP: Brad Snelling, Rob Evans, Liam Bush, Adam Cripps, Josh Warren (replaced by Callum Chugg on 46 mins), Ellis Martin (replaced by Jack Barker on 62 mins), Nathan Paxton, Jordan Brooks, George Murage, Dan Wooden, Bradey Norton (replaced by Brodie Spencer on 58 mins).

Unused subs: Owen Fee, Steve Ramsey.


Picture by: Jordan Colborne


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833