AFC Portchester 3 Denmead 3

(Denmead won 3-1 on pens)

There will be no Fratton Park final for AFC Portchester this season after they crashed out of the Portsmouth Senior Cup to a side three levels below them.

The Hampshire Premier League Division 1 visitors eased their way through to the next round during a penalty shoot-out which saw three Royals players fail to convert their spot kicks.

There were no real signs of this cup upset coming until midway through the second half when two goals in three minutes suddenly put the visitors 3-2 up.

This boosted their confidence and only keeper Brad Snelling could tuck away a penalty for the home side in a dismal shoot-out showing.

Things looked to be following the form book early on with Portchester showing why they are the higher ranked team and why they should have breezed past their opponents.

On ten minutes Liam Bush went through into the box but his shot was easily saved by keeper Prad Bains.

The Royals took the lead on 23 minutes when Bush’s shot could only be parried by Bains and the ball popped up to Patrick Hnath, who headed it into the empty net on his first team debut.

However, Portchester’s lead lasted only two minutes when a corner from the right picked out Danny Lucas and he was left free to head home into the net.

Portchester had plenty of chances to retake the lead. Hnath received the ball on the edge of the box but blasted his shot over and Steve Ramsey latched on to a pass from the left but he too shot well over the top.

On 35 minutes Hnath was sent clear of the Denmead defence but as he tried to go around Bains with the ball the keeper managed to push the ball away from him. The loose ball went to Dan Wooden but he fired his shot well over.

Three minutes later Wooden flicked on a through ball into the path of Bush but before he could fire off a shot, Bains came off his line to gather the ball.

The home side went back in front three minutes before the interval when Hnath was judged to have been pushed away from the ball as he tried to slide in on a cross. Ramsey made no mistake with the penalty after being asked to retake it.

Portchester dominated the opening exchanges of the second half when Jack Barker missed the target with a free header from a free kick and Wooden drove into the penalty area before seeing his shot beaten away by Bains.

The game exploded into life from Denmead’s perspective with three goals in six minutes.

They equalised on 63 minutes when a defensive slip allowed Harvey Hawkins to take the ball into the penalty area. As he cut inside his marker he was brought down and Danny Lucas had his penalty saved but slammed home the rebound.

Denmead took the lead two minutes later after they pushed forward into the Portchester penalty area and Ryan Harrison got to a loose ball before anyone else could react to fire his shot home.

The home side made it 3-3 on 69 minutes when a free kick from the half way line was floated forward and Jordan Brooks diverted the ball with his header into the net.

Portchester pushed on to win the game in normal time. On 71 minutes Bush tried his luck after attacking down the left wing and his shot from the edge of the box dropped just over the crossbar.

Bush then crossed from the left to Wooden whose header was blocked by a defender for a corner. Wooden got to the corner from the left but his header bounced into Bains’ gloves.

On 78 minutes Wooden and substitute Nathan Paxton combined to give George Murage the chance to have a shot but from the right hand edge of the box he fired well over.

On 83 minutes young substitute Daniel Bonavia received the ball on the left hand side of the box and took his time to fire a low shot back across goal but Bains blocked it from heading towards the net.

Two minutes later Bonavia met a corner at the near post and his header went across the goal but Paxton couldn’t apply a finishing touch to the ball to turn it over the line.

With the scores level after 90 minutes, the game went straight to a penalty shoot-out.

In the first round of spot kicks, Wooden’s effort was saved by Bains diving down to his left and Hawkins then fired his shot straight at Snelling.

In the second round, Bains made a fine one handed save to keep out Brooks’ penalty and Lewis Crook sent Snelling the wrong way to put the visitors 1-0 up.

In the third round, Bush saw his penalty saved by Bains and Snelling got a hand to Danny Lucas’ spot kick but he couldn’t prevent the ball from crossing the line.

In the fourth round, Snelling showed his team mates how to score a penalty by blasting the ball low into the net but he couldn’t prevent Jacob Arend from scoring, which meant Denmead won the shoot-out 3-1.


GOALS: Patrick Hnath (23 mins), Steve Ramsey (pen, 42 mins), Jordan Brooks (69 mins)

LINE-UP: Brad Snelling, Stuart McConnachie, Liam Bush, Jordan Brooks, Jack Barker, Ellis Martin, George Murage, Steve Ramsey (replaced by Adam Cripps on 55 mins), Dan Wooden, Patrick Hnath (replaced by Nathan Paxton on 73 mins), Brodie Spencer (replaced by Daniel Bonavia on 59 mins).

UNUSED SUBS: Callum Chugg, Olly Searle.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833