Fareham Town 2 AFC Portchester 1

Portchester fell to their first defeat of the season at the hands of their local rivals in the first El Creekio derby of the campaign.

Fareham were well worth their victory as the visitors struggled to repeat the impressive form they had shown in their opening two matches.

The home side contained Portchester’s attacking threat through out the game and had plenty of chances to score during the second half.

Fareham had the first chance of the game on six minutes when Jack Breed picked up the ball on the halfway line and took it to the edge of the penalty area. He played the ball to Tom Settle but his shot was easily saved by keeper Brad Snelling.

The home side went closer to scoring nine minutes later when a cross from the right had to be headed away before Breed got to it and from the corner, Curt Robbins’ header hit the outside of the near post.

A flowing Fareham move through midfield saw Breed eventually put Robbins clean through into the box. Snelling blocked his first shot and the Fareham striker tried to chip home the rebound but the keeper grabbed the ball before it went past him.

Portchester then enjoyed a period of regular attacks which saw Craig Harding’s shot blocked and Liam Hibberd’s cross was hit wide by Joe Johnson.

Fareham then broke quickly and Robbins had another chance to score but a defender blocked his shot and at the other end, a long clearance bounced into the path of Lee Wort, who couldn’t get his effort from the left hand side of the box on target.

Robbins had another shot blocked behind for a corner and when this was played into the box, Snelling dropped the ball inside the six yard box and Archie Wilcox was on hand to turn the loose ball home on 36 minutes.

Fareham’s lead only lasted five minutes when Johnson was brought down 25 yards out. Steve Ramsey smashed home a fantastic free kick which keeper Dan Kempson could only help on its way into the net.

Portchester almost snatched the lead a minute before half time when a throw in on the left from Adam Cripps picked out Peter Castle but his downward header went narrowly wide, with Kempson scrambling across his line.

Fareham were much the better side in the second half and on 55 minutes a throw in from the right found Gary Austen and his powerful shot went narrowly wide. A minute later the ball was played inside to Robbins in the penalty area but he hit his shot straight at Snelling.

Fareham got their second goal on the hour mark when a long ball down the right channel was eventually played inside to Austen, who broke into the penalty area and then slammed a low shot into the net.

On 72 minutes a corner from the left found Castle at the far post but his header was blocked behind for another corner. At the other end, substitute Josh Benfield sent Charlie Cooper clear inside the penalty area but Snelling managed to get a hand to his shot to turn it on to the post before the ball bounced to safety.

Wort had a goal disallowed for offside on 78 minutes and four minutes later the visitors did everything possible to try and force home an equaliser but both Rob Evans and Wort had close range shots blocked by defenders.

Fareham looked the more likely side to score in the closing minutes. Cooper fizzed a shot wide from 25 yards out, Settle curled his free kick from the edge of the box straight at Snelling and a free kick knocked into the path of Settle saw the Fareham man have another chance to score but a defender blocked his goal bound effort.



Line-up: Brad Snelling, Liam Hibberd, Adam Cripps, Peter Castle, Luke Dempsey, Joe Chamberlain (replaced by Casey Greaves on 75 mins), Rob Evans, Steve Ramsey, Craig Harding, Lee Wort, Joe Johnson (replaced by Lee Molyneaux on 62 mins).

Subs not used: Olly Searle, Craig Hardy, Cameron Scott.

Goal: Steve Ramsey (41 mins)


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833