Wimborne Town 3 AFC Portchester 0

AFC Portchester’s FA Cup dreams were firmly extinguished by Wimborne in this Preliminary Round tie.

A cup upset, with the home side playing two levels above the Royals, never looked on the cards in what proved to be a comfortable victory for Wimborne.

The visitors had the first chance of the game on six minutes when the ball was worked into Lee Wort inside the box from the right and he put his shot narrowly wide.

However, the home side scored their first goal of the afternoon on 13 minutes from a corner. A defender appeared to slip as the ball was crossed in from the right and Scott Arnold’s shot looped past keeper Brad Snelling and into the net.

Portchester should have equalised two minutes later when a defender lost the ball inside his own box and the cross found Toby Adekunle practically on the goal line but he couldn’t force the ball home.

Luke Holmes proved to be a constant menace to the Portchester defence throughout the match and his pass found Jake Sinclair inside the box but he slotted his shot wide of the post.

Sinclair then had another effort blocked by Snelling and Holmes rolled the rebound across the face of goal but it went wide.

On 35 minutes, Steve Ramsey and Craig Harding combined down the left to set up a chance for Adekunle but his soft shot was straight at keeper Billy Terrell.

On 39 minutes home captain Daniel Strugnell out jumped everyone to meet a corner from the right but he put his header wide.

Any hopes of a second half fightback for Portchester looked over just a minute after the re-start when Wimborne scored their second goal.

There was a suspicion of a handball in midfield but the home side didn’t wait for the referee’s decision and sent Curtis Young scampering clear down the right. He drove forward into the box before hitting a shot which took a deflection off a defender as it flew into the net.

Ramsey hit a free kick from 25 yards out straight at Terrell before at the other end Jack Lovell’s shot was blocked by Snelling and Luke Dempsey was well placed to clear Charlie Gunson’s follow up effort off the line.

The home side went close again on 70 minutes when the ball was worked inside from the left to Lovell and he let fly with a shot which Snelling could only watch whistle past his far post.

Holmes’ soft shot didn’t trouble Snelling but Lovell’s next effort forced the visiting keeper to get down to block the shot with his legs.

Gunson then hit a shot into the side netting and Lee Molyneaux had to block Holmes’ shot from in front of goal.

The visitors went close to scoring a consolation goal with eight minutes remaining when a throw in from the right found Wort but Terrell dived to his right to keep the ball out.

On 87 minutes substitute Aidan Shepherd was sent racing clear of the Portchester defence by Holmes’ free kick but after taking the ball into the box he put his shot wide of the far post.

However, Shepherd made no mistake with his next opportunity in injury time. He raced clear into the penalty area and then hit a low shot across goal and into the net.


Line-up: Brad Snelling, Lee Molyneaux, Liam Hibberd, Joe Chamberlain (replaced by Joe Johnson on 61 mins), Luke Dempsey, Craig Hardy, Rob Evans, Steve Ramsey, Craig Harding (replaced by Patrick Hnath on 78 mins), Lee Wort, Toby Adekunle (replaced by Oscar Johnston on 38 mins).

Subs not used: Olly Searle, Adam Cripps, Casey Greaves, Cameron Scott.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833