Portland United 0 AFC Portchester 3

AFC Portchester enjoyed a comfortable afternoon at Portland as they returned from Dorset with all three points.

The Royals were 2-0 up within the opening half hour and they were rarely troubled by their hosts as they cruised to victory.

It was a dark and damp afternoon, with rain falling steadily throughout the game, but the pitch remained in good condition throughout the 90 minutes.

Portland almost snatched the lead after four minutes when Ben Morris’ pass forward bounced into the path of Manny Roche inside the box. He hit a low shot which was heading into the bottom corner until keeper Brad Snelling stretched out a leg to divert the ball around the post.

Three minutes later Portchester went close to scoring when Lerone Plummer cut into the penalty area from the right and hit his shot across keeper Josh Lucas but the ball hit the inside of the post, rolled back across goal and was cleared to safety.

The visitors opened the scoring on 15 minutes when Lee Wort raced on to a ball over the Portland defence. He took it forward into the box and after his initial effort was partially blocked, he was under the ball when it dropped to the ground to guide it into the net.

Five minutes later Portland had another half chance when they caught the visiting defence on the break. Josh Camp took the ball forward from the half way line and once he was inside the penalty area, he miss-hit his shot across goal and it just evaded his team mates rushing in to try and apply the finishing touch.

Portchester doubled their lead on 27 minutes when Plummer got clear down the left and his inch-perfect cross to the far post was tapped home by Wort from close range.

The visitors looked to extend their lead in the second half and shortly after the re-start, Craig Harding cut inside his marker and his low ball into the box picked out Joe Chamberlain but his first touch took the ball away from goal.


Substitute Barry Mason was sent clear down the right on the hour mark and his ball into the near post found Harding but he put his shot wide.

Five minutes later Chamberlain sent Wort racing clear into the penalty area. His first touch saw the ball bounce up awkwardly and as he tried to get his shot away a defender blocked his effort behind for a corner.

Wort had another chance to complete his hat-trick on 76 minutes when Josh Hanratty’s pass put him through one-on-one with the keeper. He took the ball around Lucas and as he looked to roll the ball into an empty net, a defender managed to get back in time to block his shot.

The Portchester striker did eventually manage to get his third goal on 83 minutes. The home defence tried to let a through ball run through to Lucas but substitute Patrick Hnath beat him to it and the keeper sent him tumbling on the edge of the six yard box.

Wort made no mistake with his penalty, hitting the ball low into the net.




Line-up: Brad Snelling, Liam Hibberd, Olly Searle, Craig Hardy, Josh Hanratty, Joe Chamberlain, Rob Evans, Lerone Plummer (replaced by Patrick Hnath on 60 mins), Craig Harding, Lee Wort (replaced by Steve Ramsey on 83 mins), Joe Johnson (replaced by Barry Mason on 55 mins).

Unused subs: Adam Cripps, Cameron Scott.

Goals: Lee Wort (15 mins, 27 mins, 83 mins - pen).



AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833