United Services Portsmouth 2 AFC Portchester 1

Portchester’s involvement with cup competitions was ended for the 2020-21 campaign thanks to this FA Vase defeat.

Wessex Division 1 side US Portsmouth fully deserved their cup upset victory against a Premier Division side who endured a poor day at the office.

The game was played before a sell-out crowd of 300 spectators at the Crest Finance Stadium after it was agreed to switch the tie from Burnaby Road.

US Portsmouth soon showed their intentions in this game as they got off to a flying start and dominated the first 45 minutes.

On six minutes James Franklyn latched on to a ball over the defence and sent in a dangerous cross into the six yard box. Rob Evans spotted the danger and sprinted across from his left back position to clear the ball before any US players could knock it into the net.

Three minutes later another ball over the top was not dealt with by the Portchester defence and Declan Seidon took it into the penalty area before firing his shot narrowly over the crossbar.

US went close again on 13 minutes when a corner was partially cleared but Dan Sibley crossed it in again from the right and Tom Cain put his header wide.

Five minutes later Seidon sent Franklyn through down the middle of the pitch but keeper Brad Snelling blocked the low shot with his body.

US took the lead on 21 minutes when a ball down the right was chased down by Andrew Todd. He pulled it back into the path of Seidon, who looped his shot over Snelling and it dropped into the net.

Things almost got worse for Portchester two minutes later when Franklyn found space down the right and hung up a cross which almost went over Snelling but the keeper readjusted quickly enough to clutch on to the ball.

Franklyn got clear again down the right on 33 minutes and sent in a cross which looked to be heading straight to Todd’s head but Olly Searle managed to flick it out of his path for a corner.

A minute later and Franklyn was away from the defence again but his first time shot was tipped away from goal by Snelling diving to his right.

US doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when Callum Glen picked up the ball on the edge of the box and made his way into the penalty area. He was sent sprawling by a home defender’s challenge but while both sides were protesting about whether it was or wasn’t a penalty, the ball ran to Todd and he whipped it home into the top corner.

There didn’t look to be any way back for Portchester at this stage after failing to create any real chances on goal in the first half and they offered little to suggest they could rescue the tie in the opening stages of the second period.

On 53 minutes yet another ball over the top of the Royals’ defence sent Franklyn racing clear and Snelling had to stick out a leg to prevent his shot from finding its way in.

The game was lacking any real flow to it during the second half as US looked to run down the clock and the match officials appeared to allow them plenty of time to take throw ins and free kicks.

Portchester’s hopes were further dented as well when they lost keeper Snelling and striker Lee Wort to injuries.

They did manage to pull a goal back on 68 minutes when Craig Harding chested down Barry Mason’s cross inside the box and Rob Evans tucked his shot away into the net.



Line-up: Brad Snelling (replaced by Cameron Scott on 65 mins), Liam Hibberd, Rob Evans (capt), Olly Searle (replaced by Luke Dempsey on 46 mins), Craig Hardy, Joe Chamberlain, Josh Hanratty, Barry Mason, Craig Harding, Lee Wort (replaced by Liam Crook on 56 mins), Toby Adekunle.

Subs not used: Peter Castle, Patrick Hnath, Joe Johnson, Alex Baldacchino.

Goal: Rob Evans (68 mins)


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833